Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Elastic Hearts

Motherhood, is there anything else quite like it? Have you ever known your heart to be so incredibly elastic? There are moments in raising my children that I wonder if it truly will burst this time, as it stretches and swells beyond its borders. I remember gazing into my son's eyes when he was about 2 months old, those colbalt blue wonders, and feeling lost in hopeless abandon to the love I felt for this little child. And, wondering if my heart could survive the massive expansion as the second child arrived and third. Miraculous how God contructed our hearts to love deeper and wider with every opportunity to love.

Mothering my children has opened my eyes in a new dimension, given me insight into the love of God and to His massive heart. Where my heart has conditions (whether I like to admit that or not), His does not. How quickly my bursting heart can collapse and deflate in moments of frustration and anger. I have to choose to love in spite of feelings, where God IS love. There is never a moment that He is not Love. That is why we can completely trust Him. Everything that He does as He parents us is in the context of Love. While certain times in our lives may not feel covered in His Love, we MUST grasp this truth. And we must CHOOSE to believe in the same way that we must CHOOSE to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment