Thursday, August 6, 2009

Frogs and Snails and.....Honey Pots

I know they say that the "twos" are "terrible". But, aren't they also delightful? These little people are learning to navigate their worlds independently, with lots of tumbles and hilarious misuses of the English language (I am assuming that this is universal, so any language, really). Sometimes I have thought that the cuteness and hilarity are the rewards that propel us to continue on each day in expectancy of yet another reward. Joy in the journey.

One of the things I have enjoyed so much in motherhood is that we get to delight in childhood toys once again. When my son was born, I went crazy for Winnie-The-Pooh. And, fortunately for me, it was everywhere. Hmmm.....there is something to be said for the enticements of marketing and advertising. Anyway, I was thrilled to bring home books and toys that brought me back to a happy place in my childhood. I would spend hours with my little boy encountering the "Hundred Acre Wood" in story and play. Piglet, Tigger, Roo, Eeyore (to name a few favorites), picnics and adventures filled with friends and honey pots. Needless to say, Winnie-The-Pooh was a part of our lives back then.

One day, while driving the familiar 40 minutes to Grandma and Grandpa's house, our son was nestled safely in his car seat and seemingly quiet in his thoughts. Out of the quietness of the moment, a little voice in the backseat says "Daddy, you my best fwwwiend", with all the tenderness a little two-year old could muster. Deeply touched by the sweetness of the moment, I say, "awww, Chaddy, that is so nice to say. Am I your best friend too?" "No," he replies, with a similar tenderness and thoughtful pause.........."Yooou my honey pot!" Glorious reward!

2 comments:

  1. I'd have to say I prefer the three year olds a bit. But they say just as funny stuff at this age too LOL
    And I have to say...no matter what your age and motherhood status..if you crave your childhood...do children's ministry :-) And lead some worship while your at it ...too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sharon juliahna grace westmanSeptember 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM

    wunnerful!

    enjoying your blog, Tina!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete